Thursday 25 June 2009

Day 186 - Spine

“Also known as your backbone, your spine is a strong, flexible column of ring-like bones that runs from your skull to your pelvis. It holds your head and body upright and allows you to bend and twist your body. It also offers protection to your spinal cord - a large bundle of nerves that runs through the cavity in the centre of your spine that relays messages between your brain and the rest of your body.
Your spine is made up of 33 irregularly shaped bones called vertebrae. Each vertebra has a hole in the middle through which the spinal cord runs.

Sandwiched between your vertebrae are pads of tough, fibrous cartilage called intervertebral discs that cushion your vertebrae and absorb shock. These discs, together with the curved, S-shape of your spine, prevent shock to your head when you walk or run.

The joints between individual vertebrae aren't very flexible. But working together they give the spine a wide range of movement, allowing you to arch backwards, bend forwards and twist from side to side. During strenuous movement, strong ligaments and muscles around your vertebrae stabilise your spine and help to control movement.”*

*http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/factfiles/spine/lumbar_vertebrae.shtml

The radionics practitioner called me today and told me that this morning she did some work on my spine. A strange thing to hear from someone I will never meet.

Since the practitioner started working on me a week ago, the headache seems worse. I don’t know if it is just a coincidence, as the pain always varies in intensity for no apparent reason. Having said that, as with other treatments, the symptoms usually get worse before getting better.

It’s just rather depressing as it seemed to be improving. Unfortunately, every time I think the situation is ameliorating, my hopes get crushed and I am again back at square one.

I find it unimaginably hard to describe the pain I feel - at its worst, the headache is an all encompassing pain which embraces the entirety of my head. It doesn’t thump per se, rather simply feels as if a gargantuan tree trunk had placed itself inside my head.

On a ‘normal’ day, it is more of a constant piercing pain in my right temple which, again, varies in intensity according to its whim. Once again, when inclined, it also manifests on the left hand side.

And thus my capricious headache still remains a mystery to all and sundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment