Monday 22 June 2009

Day 182 - Reiki


“Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.

The word Reiki is made of two Japanese words - Rei which means "God's Wisdom or the Higher Power" and Ki which is "life force energy". So Reiki is actually "spiritually guided life force energy."

Reiki treats the whole person including body, emotions, mind and spirit creating many beneficial effects that include relaxation and feelings of peace, security and wellbeing.

It is a simple, natural and safe method of spiritual healing and self-improvement that everyone can use. It has been effective in helping virtually every known illness and malady and always creates a beneficial effect. It also works in conjunction with all other medical or therapeutic techniques to relieve side effects and promote recovery.

An amazingly simple technique to learn, the ability to use Reiki is not taught in the usual sense, but is transferred to the student during a Reiki class. This ability is passed on during an "attunement" given by a Reiki master and allows the student to tap into an unlimited supply of "life force energy" to improve one's health and enhance the quality of life.”*

*http://www.reiki.org/FAQ/WhatIsReiki.html


"I am a reiki master" - these words were spoken by a good friend’s boyfriend.

I asked him to immediately ‘do some reiki’ on me. Anything, just anything, to make the pain go away. Even just for five minutes.

I lay down and was asked to relax. I have always found it very hard to unwind - I am always tense, thoughts constantly toiling away in my head. I am incapable of only having one thought, let alone thinking about nothing at all, as yogis do.

I closed my eyes and tried to relax. After some mental fighting and internal oohs and aahs I eventually managed to relax a bit more and to suppress some thoughts.

It came slowly, but it came: a feeling of lightness, as if being transported towards the sky, nearly as if I were floating. The kind of feeling you imagine you will have when you die (if you believe life doesn’t entirely end with some ants nibbling at your toes).

I felt as if I was being elevated, raised from my body, the thoughts turned off, vanishing just like that - puff, puff, puff. They became dust. Finally, I managed to exterminate them, annihilate them in their entirety.

Andy put his hands on my shoulders. By doing so, he was telling me the session was over. I gently opened my eyes, the bright sunlight prompting me to blink repetitively; I longed already to return to that previous state of peacefulness.

Andy explained that a reiki treatment is the equivalent of having four hours sleep. No wonder I felt refreshed and relaxed. More importantly, during the treatment itself the severity of the headache diminished.

Andy has kindly offered to ‘attune’ me - all I need to do is spend a couple of days at my friend’s house in the countryside where I will learn to heal myself through reiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment