Monday 1 June 2009

Day 161 - Liver

“The liver is the largest, heaviest and most complex internal organ in the body, weighing 1-1.5 kg and hidden mostly by the lower right ribcage. It is one of only two organs to have two blood supplies, receiving blood from the hepatic arteries [20%] and the portal vein [80%] (carrying blood from the intestines).

The liver makes and breaks down proteins, sugars and fats, stores nutrients absorbed from the intestines, and removes toxins from the blood. It is the powerhouse, recycling and disposal plant of the body. Life literally is not possible without the liver.

There are many causes of liver disease - the most common cause in Western countries is alcohol.”*

*http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A134920

The liver test arrived in the post a few days ago. I knew I would have to send a urine sample, but was rather surprised when I found a 2 litre plastic bottle in the test kit. I don’t know what the guy at the post office will say.

I have had to refrigerate my saliva twice in the past 24 hours, and need to send it tomorrow morning to the labs, along with a urine sample.

***

I have just learned that I do not need to post the 2 litre bottle of urine (thank goodness), rather just need to transfer it to a much smaller sample that is also enclosed.

The nutritionist told me the results would take up to six weeks to get to her. Once again, all I can do now is wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment