Thursday 8 January 2009

Day 17 - Acupuncture

"Acupuncture is a form of traditional Chinese medicine which involves the insertion of very fine needles at key points (known as acupuncture points) into the body.

Acupuncture is based on the Chinese belief that the human body is controlled by a life force known as Qi (pronounced 'chee'). Qi flows through the body in channels, known as meridians. When your Qi is disturbed or unbalanced it can make you unwell. Acupuncture aims to restore the balance of Qi, and helps it to run smoothly through your body.

Acupuncture is primarily used to ease symptoms of pain and discomfort. Studies suggest that there are a number of conditions which acupuncture can help to treat, including post-operative pain, migraines and nausea."*

*http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Acupuncture/Pages/Introduction.aspx

The Chinese clinic where I had my foot massage also offered acupuncture.

I told the doctor about my one month headache. I was asked to remove my shirt and lay down on the bed.

I felt heat all over my back and needles penetrated my skin. It didn’t hurt.

The doctor murmured some things under her breath, in Chinese.

In broken English she told me to stay still, and that she would return shortly.

She eventually returned and took the needles out.

I feel more relaxed although the headache is still the same. I know things like this take time to come into effect so all I can do now is wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment