Saturday 23 May 2009

Day 152 - Bowen Technique

“The Bowen Technique is a gentle, deeply relaxing, non-invasive physical therapy that frees the body to attain its natural balance and healing. Effective as a structural treatment for specific pain, Bowen therapy addresses the body as a whole. Its embrace often extends beyond the presenting symptom to the healing of underlying physical, chemical, emotional and mental causes of chronic illnesses.

In a Bowen Technique session, the therapist applies a carefully orchestrated series of gentle movements along the spine and at specific points throughout the body. These movements consist of a subtle rolling of muscle, nerve, tendon and connective tissue. The therapist leaves the room between each pattern in the series so as to allow the patient the maximum space for deep relaxation and integration of the information received.

It is the deeply relaxed state - both caused by and facilitating the impact of the specific soft tissue moves - that seems to act upon the body’s autonomic, or self-governing nervous system to enable it to achieve homeostasis at a cellular level and regain its own natural balance.”*

*http://www.healthandgoodness.com/Therapies/bowen-what-is.html

My stepmother told me about a friend of hers who is a Bowen Technique practitioner. She has kindly offered the first treatment free of charge.

I might as well give it a go (this phrase is creeping up frightfully too often).

The treatment involves small movements separated by approximately five to ten minute (sometimes longer) intervals, which aim to restore the flow and balance of the body.

Long, hot baths, sitting with your legs crossed and hot-water bottles (good thing it’s not winter) can all reverse the effects of the treatment, and thereby must be avoided after the session.

For some, the science behind Bowen may seem dubious. I myself, although a firm believer of alternative medicine and always open to new treatments, am a bit skeptical following today’s first session.

I struggle to comprehend how a few gentle movements (with what seem to be more intervals than ‘treatment’ itself) can rid my body of this malicious headache. If it is something internal, it needs to be fought from within.

Nonetheless, a few hours have passed since the first session and I have to admit I feel slightly better: the headache is always very much present but I am more relaxed and feel more at peace.

I know Bowen has worked wonders for many, and it may well prove to be a godsend to me too. I just need to get my head round it.

1 comment:

  1. Bowen therapy really works. I've heard/read about it a year ago and just tried it 2 weeks ago. I've recently been getting headaches, related or due to TMJ and ear ache, so I thought I'll give it a try taking along my sister who's had other issues (nothing major).
    I'm still trying to comprehend the science behind it but it works (for me and my sister). I've tried all kinds of alternative medicine, some works very well, some short term.
    I really believe and like this therapy, so I'm going to take bowen classes.

    ReplyDelete