Tuesday 24 March 2009

Day 92 - Fibromyalgia

"FMS (fibromyalgia syndrome) is a widespread musculoskeletal pain and fatigue disorder for which the cause is still unknown. Fibromyalgia means pain in the fibrous tissues in the body.
The pain comes from the connective tissues, such as the muscles, tendons, and ligaments. FMS does not involve the joints, as does rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.

Most patients with fibromyalgia say that they ache all over. Their muscles may feel like they have been pulled or overworked. Sometimes the muscles twitch and at other times they burn. More women than men are afflicted with fibromyalgia, but it shows up in people of all ages.

Musculoskeletal pain and fatigue experienced by fibromyalgia syndrome patients is a chronic problem, which tends to have a waxing and waning intensity. There is currently no generally accepted cure for this condition. According to recent research, most patients can expect to have this problem lifelong.

Patients with fibromyalgia syndrome do not become crippled with the condition, nor is there any evidence it affects the duration of their expected life span. Nevertheless, due to varying levels of pain and fatigue, there is an inevitable contraction of social, vocational activities which leads to a reduced quality of life."*

*http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/what-is-fm.html

I went to see the osteopath again today for my second session. He is also a psychotherapist.

He asked if there had been improvement after our first session and I told him unfortunately nothing had changed.

I explained my mother suffered from terrible migraines and also had fibromyalgia.

He explained that, from a psychological point of view, there is a possibility that I may be trying to alleviate my mother’s pain thereby inflicting it on myself.

He then told me that my headache may be the first symptom of fibromyalgia.

The possibility of having fibromyalgia sounds fatuous but it is nonetheless plausible. I do not suffer from the symptoms of the illness (I ‘only’ have a constant headache), and most people do not get it until they are older anyway.

I am nonetheless very upset and terrified about possibly having it. Having lived with a fibromyalgia sufferer - my mother -, I dread to think of what my life will become should I be inflicted with this illness.

I left the clinic feeling dejected, wretched and, all in all, very depressed.

2 comments:

  1. There are better places to throw money than at a psychotherapist who gives you more to worry about.

    A hammock and a blender to make margaritas comes to mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. completely agree (although - ironically - the margarita would exacerbate the headache!)

    ReplyDelete