Monday 9 February 2009

Day 50 - Low Blood Pressure

"Blood pressure is the force exerted by circulating blood on the walls of blood vessels, and constitutes one of the principal vital signs of life, which also include heart beat, rate of breathing, and temperature. Blood pressure is generated by the heart pumping blood into the arteries and is regulated by the response by the arteries to the flow of blood.

Low blood pressure (hypotension) is pressure so low it causes symptoms or signs due to the low flow of blood through the arteries and veins. When the flow of blood is too low to deliver enough oxygen and nutrients to vital organs such as the brain, heart, and kidney, the organs do not function normally and may be permanently damaged.

For example, if insufficient blood flows to the brain, brain cells do not receive enough oxygen and nutrients, and a person can feel lightheaded, dizzy, or even faint."*

*http://www.medicinenet.com/low_blood_pressure/index.htm

The doctor measured my blood pressure yesterday during the physical examination and said it was abnormally low. He did not take any measures as he said he would check it again today when picking up my test results.

This morning I was told all blood tests are normal and there is no sign of any parasites or tropical diseases.

The doctor measured my blood pressure again - it was still very low. Given the normal blood results, he is utterly convinced my headache is due to my low blood pressure.

I myself feel that my headache is caused by something elementary that is being overlooked.

I am therefore highly enthusiastic about this new diagnosis and firmly believe the doctor may well be right.

Furthermore, the fact that the pain intensifies when lying down leads me to think that my headache may well be related to low blood pressure, as the blood circulates differently when standing or lying.

The doctor has prescribed some drops to take for three weeks on a daily basis; this, he says, should raise my blood pressure thereby putting an end to my headache.

I have now promised myself that whosoever may solve my headache will receive a bunch of flowers, a box of chocolates and a card explaining how grateful I am for having finally resolved my mysterious headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment